Friday 27 April 2012

The town I love so well

I left the apartment at 13:30 and walked the half hour trip to the east side of town to meet up with a friend.  Funchal is a beautiful city, especially so when bathed in sunshine - the norm for at least 350 days a year.

The exotic scent from the various types of trees in bloom that line its avenues and adorn its gardens, encourages me to keep taking deep breaths, through my nose, filling my lungs and head with the sweet aromas that remind me of childhood.

The profusion of colour from the flowers, splashed across a canvas of white painted houses with ochre roof tiles, is a feast for my eyes. This is the little town I love so well.




Boa Vista - where I was born
I walked up the winding Rua Conde Carvalhal towards the house where I was born. I could almost hear the laughter of me as a child playing with friends. On the Boa Vista garden (pictured above) I sat on the wall and remembered the first time I held a girls hand. We were both 10 years old and were on our way home from the school play. She was beautiful and I wanted to kiss her but wasn't sure what or how to do it - so I did nothing but hold her hand.  I remember her face vividly but not her name. I wonder if she still remembers me? After our chat we went our separate ways and I ran at full speed, eager to get home and tell my older brother I had fallen in love. I didn't stop to cross the road and was nearly run over when a car appeared out of nowhere and screeched to a halt. But I felt no fear. I was young, in love and immortal.

When I'm feeling down all I need do is take a walk and admire the beauty of this piece of paradise - and reminisce.

:)





8 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous place to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure is Jules, you should visit sometimes :)

      Delete
  2. It looks beautiful Joe, absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Dicky. You and Lou B should visit sometime :)

      Delete
  3. It is a beautiful place, Joe. I wonder what kind of mischief I would get into in a place like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Nessa, as much or as little as you want :)

      Delete
  4. It's a very beautiful place, with so much sunshine but still you have enough water for everything to be nice and green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Tempo, green all year round - Mother Nature was kind to Madeira, full of artesian wells. Low rainfull, plenty of water and great weather :)

      Delete